Wednesday, November 19, 2008

OMG! Not another blog!

Yes, my dear reader, I am afraid that there is (yet) another blog clogging up the Internet. So why bother creating another in a seemingly endless parade of vanity-filled ramblings to an audience who is quite possibly overwhelmed with too much poor, useless, and otherwise banal information? That is a very good question. Like most things I undertake, there is not simply one simple reason. Part of the goal of this blog is to act as a vehicle for expressing my thoughts, feelings, musings, ruminations, philosophy, religion, and politics about bicycle commuting on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. I also hope that this will be a resource for others in the area, both bicyclists and non-bicyclists alike, to learn and understand more about bicycle commuting, both the challenges and the rewards.

I started bicycle commuting about five months ago, and while I may ride every day, I do try to ride at least once a week. The biggest obstacle, so far, from my becoming a daily commuter has been, of all things, my work schedule. My job often requires me to travel between the main campus in Long Beach to the Student Service Center in Gulfport. Also, once a month, I go to Gautier to keep tabs on things going on at the Jackson County campus. And there are the occasional trips to Hattiesburg that I need to take. So far, whenever I know that those situations are going to occur, I drive instead of bike. However, I am working on a possible solutions to this and will report back when the time is appropriate.

My commute is a fairly lengthy one at roughly ten miles. Most people are amazed that I "ride so far", but I am not that impressed because I have ridden further than that in my life. What dismays me isn't the distance, but rather the time and, by extension, the speed at which I travel. It takes me approximately forty-five to fifty minutes to travel ten miles. That works out to an average speed of between 12 to 13 mph. Granted, the average speed is taking into account stopping at red lights, stop signs and the occasional freight train. I should also mention that the bike I ride weighs in at about 30 pounds and I carry an additional 10 to 15 pounds of gear (clothing, lights, locks, etc.) with me and that the bike is a hybrid, not a road racer. Contrast this to traveling the same distance by car, it takes me about 20 minutes.


So why bike to work rather than driving? The most obvious answer would be to save money, but that is not my prime motivation. The primary reason for riding is for the exercise and the simple enjoyment of bicycling. Face it, we all lead busy lives and finding time to exercise, most often than not, gets set aside or ignored. There is simply too much to do to be bothered with packing up gym clothes, going to the gym, paying a membership fee, change out of work clothes and into gym clothes, exercise, and then reversing the process to go home. And exercising at home? Well, I am sure there are others who are much better at that than I. No, for me, bicycling to and from work gives me a good, healthy exercise, twice a day. As a result, I have more energy, a better, more positive attitude, better focus, lower blood pressure and heart rate, and generally feel good about myself.

The exercise is important to me because I have a cirrhosis of the liver, the symptoms of which include lethargy, short-term memory loss, inability to remain focused, weakness, and confusion, among others. And do not get me started on the complications that can result; it is almost too depressing to think about. My doctors have me on a beta-blocker to lower my blood pressure, but I also know that regular, aerobic exercise will also help lower blood pressure over the long term, as well as lower my heart rate. Not surprisingly, my doctors are all supportive, as is my wife, who expresses her pride and admiration to me every day.

A little bit about me. I am not a native Mississippian. I grew up in Michigan and am proud to call it my home state. Now before anyone starts using the "Y" word, allow me a moment, if you will, to express my preferred geographic descriptor: Wolverine. No, not the X-Men character, nor the mascot from the University of Michigan. This label has its origins in both history and literature. Historically, the term Wolverine was given (as some have claimed) by Ohioans during what has been called "The Toledo War". The end results of which gave Ohio Toledo and Michigan the Upper Peninsula and is symbolically replayed every year during one of the greatest football rivalries. The literary source comes from Walt Whitman's poem, "Song of Myself" which reads, "The Wolverine sets traps on the creek that helps fill the Huron". Note that Wolverine is capitalized, indicating a proper name and Huron refers to Lake Huron. Now, I do not take offense at the term Yankee; I just recall a joke about how the meaning of the term changes depending on who hears it, and I have a private chuckle.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like you're taking the 'best' route available to you. That is excellent that you are able to do an actual daily commute. I live in Diamondhead and rode to Gulfport a few times, but now work in Pascagoula which is a bit far to be on time at 7.30am. Look forward to reading more of your stories of bicycle commuting on the coast. Stay safe!

-chris